Apple Pie Oatmeal
yields: 1 serving
- 1 cup water (or milk for creamier oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup Hilray Pure Large Flake Rolled Oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped apple
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 2 teaspoons chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oats and salt. As soon as the water begins to boil again, reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue cooking – stirring occasionally – for 5 minutes or until you get your desired consistency.
In a small bowl, combine the chopped apple, brown sugar and spice. Stir until the apples are coated with sugar.
Dollop oatmeal into a serving bowl and top with the apple mixture and, if desired, crushed nuts.
For a more complete (although nutritionally inadvisable) apple pie experience, top it all off with a heaping Tablespoon of vanilla ice cream.
You can make your own apple pie spice at home by combining 4 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cardamom.
Source: Apple Pie Oatmeal